19.1.15

What Is Sabotaging Our Goals?

by Sally Matheny

What is Sabotaging Our Goals>
January’s fresh start enthusiasm is fading. Goals are melting into a puddle of best intentions. 

What were you aiming to have accomplished by now?

Healthier Eating and More Exercise
Completing a Project
More Quality Time with Family
Better Organization
A Deeper Commitment to Bible Study and Prayer

Disheartened? It’s easy to become discouraged when we fall short.




“But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can’t keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don’t have what it takes. I can will it, but I can’t do it. I decide to do good, but I don’t really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don’t result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.” Romans 7:17-20 (MSG)

Sin sabotages. It often glides smoothly beneath our radars, cleverly disguised as righteous justifications.


Even when armed with the best of intentions, our progress sputters and stalls. We make a gross error in judgment.

I think this is too hard…too much work…too slow…too fast…too painful...
I tried.
I can’t.
I won’t.

Notice the pattern? What is holding us back from our goals? The I’s have it.

We can even torpedo our goals by our way of thinking:

I’ll visualize it.
I’ll write a description or post a photo of what I want.
I’ll think and say only positive things about my goal.

Positive thinking is good. However, no matter how often I think myself trim and fit, it’s not going to happen without action accompanying the thought.

Writing out a daily Bible reading plan is not going to accomplish anything if I don’t crack open a Bible.

I can state every day how much I want to grow closer to God. But if I never make time for focused interaction with Him, chances of developing a closer relationship are slim.

What can we do?

First, make sure our goals align with God’s.

Also, we need to admit that based on our own willpower, we don’t have what it takes. No matter how much we want to improve, we need to cry out continually for God’s help.

“Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”   Matthew 26:41 (NIV)

Earnestly ask God for His power to work in and through us.

Ask others to join us in prayer and accountability.

When we fail, we need to repent. Don’t allow fear of another failure (or fear of success) to immobilize us. Keep pressing towards the goal God has set before us.

Finally, trust in God’s timing. Sometimes we falter because goals aren’t reached in what we determine is a suitable time frame. Several unexpected events and destinations seem to take us off course. 

Fear not. In the Master's hand, you’re right on target.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing! Your comment will appear after review from the moderator.